Tuesday, June 19, 2012

ARCHITECTURE, SPECS, AND THE LAW OF THE INSTRUMENT

The other day I heard someone on the radio repeat the saying “If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” 


I googled the saying and it’s been defined by Wikipedia as “an over-reliance on a familiar tool.”  And, lo and behold, it’s been dubbed “the law of the instrument.”


Applications of this to architecture and spec writing popped into my head.

The recession has thrown thousands of architects, engineers, construction workers, and more than a few spec writers out of work,  and depressed the larger economy by depriving it of their purchasing power.  Since our main skills are designing, documenting, and building the built environment, the solution to the recession looks to me like lots of new construction projects.

I don’t think this is “over-reliance on a familiar tool,” though. 



I think it’s just common sense to ramp up our design and construction industry to its full capacity.

No comments:

Post a Comment