Tuesday, June 26, 2012

IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR THAT DOOR WEDGE...

Motivated by the indisputable importance of properly functioning (self-closing and latching) fire doors in slowing and compartmenting fires in buildings, I have begun a sneaky little campaign to remove door wedges from propped-open fire doors.  Read a few posts on Lori Greene’s superb blog “I Dig Hardware - I Hate Hardware” if you’re not convinced this is important.  Here’s a good one:  http://idighardware.com/2011/05/yet-another-apartment-fire/

I consider door wedge removal a public service. It’s my own guerilla war against the reckless endangerment of building occupants by the door-wedgers. It’s my little contribution toward making the buildings I enter safer for all.

So the first couple of times I find a door wedged open, I usually kick the wedge behind the door and leave it there.  If the door wedging behavior continues, I’m likely to pick the wedge up and throw it away somewhere.

1 comment:

  1. Several years ago, the building official for the University of Minnesota was an avid wedge hunter. In his travels throughout the campus, he would kick wedges from under doors, drop them in a bag, and take a minute or so to explain his actions. Even if the occupants understood, the frequent turnover ensured good hunting until he retired.

    I don't see many wedges, but I frequently find exit doors with manual flush bolts engaged, which I immediately release. If an employee shows interest - usually by telling me to stop - I explain.

    ReplyDelete